Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

EVO Car of the year 2021 - G80 M3, 992 GT3, Ferrari SF90, Civic Type R, M5 CS, Huracan STO, Aston Martin Vantage, Hyundai i20 N

EVO is one of those few automotive publications that is still well respected. Their Car of the Year comparison is one we definitely pay attention to and despite 2021 hardly being a great year there were some spectacular cars released.

Click here to enlarge

EVO put together a pretty good list:

Click here to enlarge

BMW M3 Competition
    Honda Civic Type R Limited Edition
    BMW M5 CS
    Lamborghini Huracán STO
    Ferrari SF90 Stradale
    Hyundai i20 N
    Porsche 911 GT3 Touring
    Aston Martin Vantage F1 Edition

Take some time to watch as EVO does a fantastic job with the scenery, video quality, editing, etc. Just a very well done video.

As for the Car of the Year 2021, a surprise in this group:

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

The BMW M5 CS is a hell of a car but it is not a better driver's car than the GT3 or Huracan STO.

BoostAddict.com disagrees with EVO's choice but this is a subjective competition anyway. All three are spectacular cars and this entire group (Hyundai notwithstanding) is excellent. It's great these internal combustion enthusiast vehicles are still on the market as it will not last forever.

BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

New generic 991.2 PSE bypass pipes - $499 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Looking forward to finding some time to watch this as they're always great. Got a laugh out of the F car bringing up the rear. You know that has to have pissed off a few folks in Maranello.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The SF90 just isn't very good.
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    311 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I can agree with them M5cs would probably win number 1 on that list. After driving many supercars now and understanding them, the M5 is that plus a lot more. GT3/Huracan are only good for one thing and can't be a daily like the M5cs could be.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Payam@BMS Click here to enlarge
    I can agree with them M5cs would probably win number 1 on that list. After driving many supercars now and understanding them, the M5 is that plus a lot more. GT3/Huracan are only good for one thing and can't be a daily like the M5cs could be.
    True but the M5 is not more fun to drive than a GT3 or Huracan. More practical? Sure. But if practicality was the main focus we'd all be in a Prius.

The M5 is spectacular all around no doubt.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    As far as I'm concerned, it's the 911 GT3 all the way, and I'll have mine with the manual transmission.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Batman Click here to enlarge
    As far as I'm concerned, it's the 911 GT3 all the way, and I'll have mine with the manual transmission.
    I don't see how this isn't the car of the year.

I guess they got tired of Porsche winning every year.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Biggest surprise for me was how badly the Ferrari did. There were almost exclusively negative comments from all testers at eCotY, from the bewildering HMI to unpredictable driving behaviour.

Evo is also less track focused than sport Auto in Germany for example. They rather want to see which car is most fun and pleasure to drive on normal roads and in various conditions. On a dry circuit, no doubt the Lambo or GT3 are best, but that’s not where 99% of people drive their cars. Hence the result for the M5CS or last year the M2CS. I find that an interesting and refreshing perspective, probably more realistic than other magazine‘s are. For me that gives more guidance for an actual buy, as opposed to simply getting boastful numbers in irrelevant driving situations. If you read it with that objective in mind, it can give you a lot of useful information you don’t get elsewhere.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Alpina_B3_Lux Click here to enlarge
    Biggest surprise for me was how badly the Ferrari did. There were almost exclusively negative comments from all testers at eCotY, from the bewildering HMI to unpredictable driving behaviour.

Evo is also less track focused than sport Auto in Germany for example. They rather want to see which car is most fun and pleasure to drive on normal roads and in various conditions. On a dry circuit, no doubt the Lambo or GT3 are best, but that’s not where 99% of people drive their cars. Hence the result for the M5CS or last year the M2CS. I find that an interesting and refreshing perspective, probably more realistic than other magazine‘s are. For me that gives more guidance for an actual buy, as opposed to simply getting boastful numbers in irrelevant driving situations. If you read it with that objective in mind, it can give you a lot of useful information you don’t get elsewhere.
    great points made here.

I would add to your statement and say that 99% of even car enthusiasts don’t hit the track!

M5 or M3 are as close as we’re going to get to a highly capable all-around performance car.