Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

BMW running into problems with the i8 Spyder and pushing the launch back to late 2015?

A drop top version of the BMW i8 is a no-brainer considering BMW has shown the i8 Spyder concept with specifications and that the vehicle is undergoing testing. A report from Autocar states that BMW is running into problems with the Spyder version of the i8 which is posing some engineering hurdles. Solving the problems BMW is encountering will likely push the launch date for the i8 Spyder all the way to late 2015 making it a 2016 model year car.

Click here to enlarge

What exactly are these problems? Apparently issues with the structural integrity once material is taken out from the top of the car. The i8 already uses lightweight materials in coupe form so it seems they are having a problem with either the body or chassis flexing. An unnamed BMW source stated the following, "The last architecture presented some fairly major challenges, to be able to produce a convertible in that format. The rigidity was hard to find with that particular architecture."

Who is this source? Is the report accurate? There is no official BMW statement on this matter. The i8 coupe is basically ready to go with pricing and specifications released back in September. It will be interesting to see how long it takes BMW to fix these issues and get the Spyder on the market.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Don't make a convertible, problem solved.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Scorpion Click here to enlarge
    Don't make a convertible, problem solved.
    Don't make some weak chassis to save weight so your stupid weak ass hybrid drivetrain can move the car.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Don't make some weak chassis to save weight so your stupid weak ass hybrid drivetrain can move the car.
    Or that, that works too haha.
    Click here to enlarge