Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Epic drag race between the Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Black Series, Porsche 991 Turbo S, and the Ferrari F12

One day BenzBoost will have the resources to conduct a drag race like this ourselves. Until then we will watch the traditional media outlets have their fun and assemble epic comparisons such as this one. The Ferrari F12 is fast as we all already know and saw courtesy of MotorTrend throwing it in with a Corvette vs. 911 comparison a couple months back. But how does it stack up against much more stout competition such as the new 991 Turbo S and the Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Black Series?

Click here to enlarge

Now, keep in mind, launch control is not used during the drag race. That is a bit of a shame as it would be nice to see these cars run with the absolute best launch allowed by the hardware/software. Also keep in mind this is a standing kilometer drag race so just over a half mile.

With no launch control and just mashing the pedal the all wheel drive 991 Turbo S gets a distinct advantage out of the hole. The 0-60 times for this reason are misleading as these cars are not using drag rubber or launching as hard as they should be.

The F12 is able to quickly make up the difference between it and the 911 Turbo S and by 100 miles per hour it has reeled in the Porsche and passed it. The F12 has the quickest 0-100 time at 6.5 seconds followed by the SLS at 6.9 and then the 911 Turbo S at 7.1. By 100 miles per hour the power disparity between the cars is showing.

The quickest and fastest car is the F12. It has the fastest 1/4 mile and standing kilometer trap speeds at 134/170 miles per hour respectively. The SLS is the second fastest with a 1/4 mile trap speed of 130 and the kilometer at 161. The 991 Turbo S ties the SLS trap speed in the kilometer but runs a slower 126 in the 1/4 mile despite being quicker as a virtue of its traction advantage.

Clearly, the F12 is the most powerful of the bunch. The SLS is second and then followed by the 991 Turbo S. All of these cars are incredibly quick for stock vehicles and basically 10 second cars (with a proper launch and traction).

BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

New generic 991.2 PSE bypass pipes - $499 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It's truly amazing that the 0-100 times on these cars are about the same as the averages cars 0-60
    E46 323i-rip
    e46 325ci- sold
    e85 z4-sold
    e46-m3-ripClick here to enlarge
    fj cruiser- sold
    e90 325i-sold
    e30 325i vert- sold
    e90 335i (n54)- current

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That f12 is a $#@!ing maniac.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    F12 is on another planet. I don't know if the GT2 will even be able to take it on.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by whoosh Click here to enlarge
    F12 is on another planet. I don't know if the GT2 will even be able to take it on.
    The GT2 with PDK and much less weight won't struggle against it. It will smack it around on the track and the straightline battle should be heads up.
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

New generic 991.2 PSE bypass pipes - $499 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I can't imagine what an F12 GTO & 991 GT2(don't even get me started on an RS) will be like!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Now that's a drag race, but yes the GTO vs. GT2 would be even better.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    The GT2 with PDK and much less weight won't struggle against it. It will smack it around on the track and the straightline battle should be heads up.
    Yes, and the GT2 will be more comfortable and fun to drive (NOT). The F12 is remarkable for what has accomplished as far as daily driveability and performance in a naturally aspirated car rwd car. THe comfort-performance ratio is spectacular and that's it's calling card. I don't think Ferrari is making a habit of building GTOs on every model- look how many they've made in the history of the company- so this may be it until next generation.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by NatAsp-M3 Click here to enlarge
    Yes, and the GT2 will be more comfortable and fun to drive (NOT)
    Why exactly would a car almost 1000 pounds lighter that is a 2+2 not be more fun to drive or comfortable?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    not to nit pick here but autocar reports the ferrari and the 911 doing 0-60 in the same 3.0 sec, but in the in car video the ferrari didn't catch the porsche till 5th gear witch is probably 160+, now i know they can hit 60mph but not necessarily the same distance but they should be within a few feet of each other. So i call the data bs!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MSIZZLE Click here to enlarge
    not to nit pick here but autocar reports the ferrari and the 911 doing 0-60 in the same 3.0 sec, but in the in car video the ferrari didn't catch the porsche till 5th gear witch is probably 160+, now i know they can hit 60mph but not necessarily the same distance but they should be within a few feet of each other. So i call the data bs!!
    Different road surfaces can give different 0-60 results. The point is the Ferrari is ultimately faster and from a roll the F12 will spank these cars.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Different road surfaces can give different 0-60 results. The point is the Ferrari is ultimately faster and from a roll the F12 will spank these cars.
    im not commenting on what the 0-60 time is im commenting on the fact that there the same with the cars several lengths apart

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    im not commenting on what the 0-60 time is im commenting on the fact that there the same with the cars several lengths apart
    Ok well it takes a while to catch an all wheel drive car from a stop when not on drag rubber especially if the surface isn't perfect.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    i agree, but if thats the case how did they clock the same time?? can two cars have the same and be several lengths apart? they can be a few feet apart but not lengths...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    i agree, but if thats the case how did they clock the same time?? can two cars have the same and be several lengths apart? they can be a few feet apart but not lengths...
    The 0-60 figure may be taken from a different test or run as they don't always show all the runs. You can also hit 60 while spinning. That's how you get a higher trap speed on the strip as you essentially get a head start so you will reach a higher MPH faster than a car that hooked and went. Hope that make sense.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    i guess that can be the case

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    even though if they use a vbox for 0-60 a spinning tire wouldnt help you...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    even though if they use a vbox for 0-60 a spinning tire wouldnt help you...
    It's the same principle as once you hook the tires are rotating at a much higher speed so you'll shoot forward. The other car may be gone but you can still reach 60 in the same amount of time just in a different distance.

If we saw the 0-20 or 0-30 figures it would be more telling and we could probably figure out what was going on.

Regardless, I'd always put my money on the 911 Turbo in a sprint to 60 versus the F12 unless it's running some serious drag rubber after a serious burnout.