Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

BMW i8 deliveries to start in June - BMW claims improvement in efficiency and performance specifications, 3273 pound curb weight

The BMW i8 will officially hit the road in June just in time to show off for the summer. What is interesting to note is that BMW claims to have improved the performance of the car, "In parallel to the completion of the statutory type approval the BMW engineers were also able to achieve a further improvement of key driving performance and fuel consumption data. Thanks to its novel powertrain concept BMW eDrive in plug-in hybrid configuration, the i8 combines a 0–100 km/h (62 mph) sprint time of 4.4 seconds."

The claimed improvement in the 0-60 sprint is almost a half second quicker from the original 4.8 seconds. How BMW achieved this is unknown as the power figures have not changed. Additionally, this may just be a change on paper to reflect that the original quote was conservative. BMW may be feigning an increase in performance simply by bringing the claimed number closer to the real world number. If the output is the same is it simply software mapping that accounts for this? More juice to the electric motor at certain rev ranges? Regardless, BMW's claim is an improvement to 4.4 seconds.

Efficiency is also up. The original claims was 3.76 liters/100 kilometers (75.1 mpg imp). It is now 2.1 litres/100 km (134.5 mpg imp). C02 emissions are down to 49 g/km from 99 g/km. That is a major improvement and BMW does not state in their press release how they achieved this. Curb weight is 3273.8 pounds and the drag coefficient a sleek 0.26.

Quicker and cleaner? That sounds amazing but BMW how did you do it?

Click here to enlarge

Munich. With the completion of the development work and final preparations for production at the BMW Group plant in Leipzig, the launch of the BMW i8 approaches its peak. Delivery of the first customer cars will start in June 2014, beginning with the main European markets.

Beforehand, special public events will be held in various regions all over the world to meet the enormous interest in the BMW i8. For this purpose BMW i agents will be equipped with separate demonstration vehicles. The start of series production of customer vehicles will commence in April. Customers have already been able to place pre-orders for the BMW i8 in all major markets since autumn 2013.

However, demand for the BMW i8 is already exceeding the planned production volume during ramp-up.

Further improvements to the BMW i8 specifications
    In parallel to the completion of the statutory type approval the BMW engineers were also able to achieve a further improvement of key driving performance and fuel consumption data. Thanks to its novel powertrain concept BMW eDrive in plug-in hybrid configuration, the i8 combines a 0–100 km/h (62 mph) sprint time of 4.4 seconds with an EU test cycle average fuel consumption of 2.1 litres/100 km (134.5 mpg imp) and CO2 emissions of 49 g/km. The related electricity consumption was measured at 11.9 kWh per 100 km .

Every-day fuel economy substantially better than all conventional sports car concepts
    Although the results achieved in the EU test cycle allow for quick comparisons with other vehicles and despite their relevance ​​for a favorable taxation in many countries, the BMW i8 engineers hat a particular focus on low fuel consumption in real life.

As a result the BMW i8 shows extraordinary efficiency not only in standardized testing procedures, but also in the practice of everyday traffic:

In typical everyday commuting, with the battery fully charged at the beginning, the BMW i8 can return a fuel consumption below 5 litres/100 km (more than 56 mpg imp) around town. If the commute includes extra-urban or motorway driving less than 7 litres (more than 40 mpg imp) are achievable.. Even in longer-distance operation at higher speeds, drivers can keep their average fuel consumption below 8 litres/100 km (more than 35 mpg imp). Overall, the fuel consumption of the plug-in hybrid model therefore works out around 50 per cent better than that of conventionally powered sports car models.

World’s first production car with laser light.
    Introduction of the optional BMW laser headlights is scheduled for autumn 2014, when the BMW i8 will become the world’s first production car to offer this innovative lighting technology. BMW laser headlights are around 30 per cent more energy-efficient than the BMW i8’s standard LED headlights and provide considerably more powerful road illumination, with a range of up to 600 metres. Highly concentrated beams of light from high-performance laser diodes act on a fluorescent phosphor material inside the headlight, which projects a sharply focused beam of light onto the road. The laser headlights produce a light similar to natural daylight and are therefore always easy on the eye.

BMW eDrive: Sports car powertrain of the future.
    The BMW i8’s plug-in hybrid system comprises a 170 kW/231 hp, 320 Nm (236 lb-ft) three-cylinder petrol engine with BMW TwinPower Turbo technology and a 96 kW/131 hp, 250 Nm (184 lb-ft) hybrid synchronous electric motor. The BMW eDrive system also includes a lithium-ion high-voltage battery (with a usable capacity of 5,2 kWh) and intelligent energy management that uses the combined output of 266 kW/362 hp to provide breathtaking performance and maximum efficiency, while always taking into account the driving situation and driver requirements. The excellent balance between driving pleasure and fuel economy is aided by a low vehicle weight of 1,485 kg (DIN kerb weight) and an unusually good drag coefficient (Cd) for a sports car of 0.26.

In zero-emission all-electric mode, the BMW i8 has a top speed of 120 km/h (75 mph) and a range of 37 kilometres (23 miles) within the EU test cycle. Depending on whether the plug-in hybrid sports car’s lithium-ion battery is recharged at a household power socket or BMW i Wallbox, or at a public charging station, charging times range from less than two up to three hours. In Sport mode the BMW i8 offers mid-range acceleration from 80 to 120 km/h (50 to 75 mph) in 2.6 seconds. The electronically governed top speed is 250 km/h (155 mph).
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

New generic 991.2 PSE bypass pipes - $499 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Now if only they put a Performance motor in the damn thing and you'd have a BMW super car!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    A real motor would be nice. Then this would be a serious car.
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    311 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    A real motor would be nice. Then this would be a serious car.
    Should have made this to compete with Mclaren p1 and porsche 918 spyder.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    Should have made this to compete with Mclaren p1 and porsche 918 spyder.
    Nah, those are million dollar cars. This should compete with the 911 Turbo or SLS AMG.

It has fresher styling than either. So just give it the performance to back up its looks. It doesn't take much, even an N20 would be much better.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    311 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Nah, those are million dollar cars. This should compete with the 911 Turbo or SLS AMG.

It has fresher styling than either. So just give it the performance to back up its looks. It doesn't take much, even an N20 would be much better.

That's the point, they should have made this like that. It certainly has that million dollar look, but the performance figures are just embarrassing for BMW. I would rather take a Tesla than this, but that's just me.

The M6 competes with 911 and SLS, and does very well. BMW needs to make a super car already.
    Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That's the point, they should have made this like that. It certainly has that million dollar look, but the performance figures are just embarrassing for BMW. I would rather take a Tesla than this, but that's just me.

The M6 competes with 911 and SLS, and does very well. BMW needs to make a super car already.
    I'd rather have the Tesla too considering you don't need to fill it up and it has more power.

The M6 does not compete with the 911 and SLS in anything other than straightline speed. The 911 is far more nimble and the SLS is a lighter dedicated two seater. Both are sportier than the M6 which is more of a straightline bruiser. The SL is closer to the M6 in all honesty.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    311 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'd rather have the Tesla too considering you don't need to fill it up and it has more power.

The M6 does not compete with the 911 and SLS in anything other than straightline speed. The 911 is far more nimble and the SLS is a lighter dedicated two seater. Both are sportier than the M6 which is more of a straightline bruiser. The SL is closer to the M6 in all honesty.
    It's not too far off the 911 and SLS, but yes it does get demolished by those two cars which I believe are actually 2 times the price no? But yea, the SL is closer to the M6 than both.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It's not too far off the 911 and SLS, but yes it does get demolished by those two cars which I believe are actually 2 times the price no? But yea, the SL is closer to the M6 than both.
    No, the Carrera S is slightly cheaper although you can option it out the moon and yes the SLS is more expensive but it's the sportiest car from Mercedes IMO.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    i dunno sticky, if M can work their old school magic + twin turbo on a V12 i think it would be a car to be able to compete with the P1 and 918. plus i'm sure they would cut some weight from the car too. essentially that would be a monopoly car

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rawad1017 Click here to enlarge
    i dunno sticky, if M can work their old school magic + twin turbo on a V12 i think it would be a car to be able to compete with the P1 and 918. plus i'm sure they would cut some weight from the car too. essentially that would be a monopoly car
    I agree M could work magic with this car but it seems BMW does not intend to let M work their magic on this car. It boggles my mind.

I guess I'll put up an article begging for an M version.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I guess I'll put up an article begging for an M version.
    ya know, car companies do spy on the forums. it's been shown so many times.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    ya know, car companies do spy on the forums. it's been shown so many times.
    If BMW spied on this forum I don't think they would be happy with what we say about them.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    to be honest, they wouldn't give a $#@!. this isn't the only place they allegedly spy on that would bash them

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    to be honest, they wouldn't give a $#@!. this isn't the only place they allegedly spy on that would bash them
    I don't necessarily bash them I just think they could do things a lot better than they do as far as the enthusiast is concerned. They could bette balance profit and the Ultimate Driving Machine philosophy. It's just a commercial sham now. I think BimmerBoost critiques this better than anyone.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Look at the car it can run with a McLaren MP4-12c on looks. I don't like the way lambo's look they look like plastic hot wheels.

Also the M6 is a luxury car that goes fast in a straight line.

If BMW spied on this forum I doubt they'd honestly care. We're a niche group. All the auto makers are make 30k cars that will do better than any American car in luxury and quality and if you subscribe to consumer reports all the American auto makers are on the bottom of the list and most European/German/Japanese are on top.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Love the looks...and sounds great. But for god's sake....I wish they'd offer a version with the S63 in it. And the appropriate chassis modifications. It would be an absolute world beater if they did so. I can only hope that is the plan eventually.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by leveraged sellout Click here to enlarge
    Love the looks...and sounds great. But for god's sake....I wish they'd offer a version with the S63 in it. And the appropriate chassis modifications. It would be an absolute world beater if they did so. I can only hope that is the plan eventually.
    It's honestly insane if they don't. WTF are they waiting for?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It's honestly insane if they don't. WTF are they waiting for?
    I feel like they're scared but I'm not sure of what. That combo would destroy almost anything out there if they can keep it down around 33xx pounds. I mean we don't know how they will be chassis-wise yet but I can't imagine they won't be amazing considering how light and stiff they are. Either they are scared to really put this thing in the big-boy's club or are sandbagging. Hope it's the latter.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by leveraged sellout Click here to enlarge
    I feel like they're scared but I'm not sure of what. That combo would destroy almost anything out there if they can keep it down around 33xx pounds. I mean we don't know how they will be chassis-wise yet but I can't imagine they won't be amazing considering how light and stiff they are. Either they are scared to really put this thing in the big-boy's club or are sandbagging. Hope it's the latter.
    I think it's more of they are propping up 'i' and let's be honest every single one of us would rather have this car with a real motor than this BS. If everyone is opting for the i8 with 'balls' it defeats their purpose.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I think it's more of they are propping up 'i' and let's be honest every single one of us would rather have this car with a real motor than this BS. If everyone is opting for the i8 with 'balls' it defeats their purpose.
    Yeah great point. This is supposed to be the performance car for Sierra Club members.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    no s63s, s85s, no other engines being used on bmws already. twin turbo v12, tuned up to $#@! $#@! up, completely unique for the i8. i'm talking new mclaren f1. that's what the i8 needs.