Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

AMS Alpha 7 GTR vs. bolt on C6 Z06 vs. Hennessey HPE 650 highway threeway from stop and roll

It is nice to get a highway pull video with some daylight and HD quality to see what is going on (take note Middle East). This video comes from Dragtimes Baku (located in Azerbaijan) and features three tuned cars. The camera car is an AMS Alpha 7 tuned GTR which means larger injectors, FMIC, tune, intake, and exhaust modifications. These modifications are good for roughly 700 horsepower at the crank and this is the second mildest Alpha package available from AMS Performance for the GTR.

Click here to enlarge

The Cadillac CTS-V features the Hennessey HPE650 package which is a bolt on package including a tune good for roughly 566 horsepower to the wheels. The CTS-V and the GTR are making similar power but the GTR routes it to all four wheels with a dual clutch whereas the CTS-V does not have a dual clutch (manual or automatic) and sends power to the rear wheels.

The C6 Z06 features the LS7 7.0 liter V8 readers likely know well and it can put out some big naturally aspirated power. The modifications are not specified so exactly what this Z06 has is unknown. What is known is that it is the lightest car of the trio undercutting the ~3800 pound GTR by almost 700 pounds.

The run from a stop should obviously favor the GTR with its all wheel drive. To make it easier on the rear wheel drive competition the GTR does not launch but just rolls into the throttle. It still pulls the other two easily who appear to let off.

The second run is from a roll and the CTS-V can not play due to traffic (don't try this at home). The Z06 shows its weight advantage here getting an early lead but the GTR quickly makes up the difference and pulls in the higher speeds. It is apparent the GTR has a significant horsepower advantage pulling several car lengths by 150 miles per hour.

The roll on between the Z06 and the GTR has the Z06 quickly giving up after the shift where the DCT of the GTR dominates it. If you are wondering why dual clutches are taking over this should illustrate how quick and consistent the transmission is. No user error here, the Z06 is demolished. The Z06 decides he wants to try again after this out of second gear but it's just another beatdown.

Finally the CTS-V gets to play with the GTR from a roll but it doesn't fare any better. This just goes to show how fast even a mildly modified GTR can be.

BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

New generic 991.2 PSE bypass pipes - $499 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Yes the DCTs are clearly faster than the pure manual transmission no doubt about it. Too bad they make racing in a straight line boring. I wish we could see more manual only drag races, takes a lot more skill, knowledge of the car, and involvement, but I guess those days are over. A race is a race though, I just don't really see the point of racing auto transmissions vs manuals. Driving a manual is a whole different machine. I still can't find the joy in pressing a switch behind the steering wheel and feel badass about how fast I'm "shifting" or excitement. Anyways, cool racing.
    John 3:16

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Love the sound of those GTR's
    Click here to enlarge
    FBO's. Spec S2+. E85.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rdeterman Click here to enlarge
    Love the sound of those GTR's
    They sound like super vacuums. Not bad, but does not compare to the sound of a Z06 IMO. Those Nissan V6s have such a distinct sound. I guess we all have different ears though Click here to enlarge
    John 3:16

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Man those cars got drug! Good races.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by leo985i Click here to enlarge
    Yes the DCTs are clearly faster than the pure manual transmission no doubt about it. Too bad they make racing in a straight line boring. I wish we could see more manual only drag races, takes a lot more skill, knowledge of the car, and involvement, but I guess those days are over. A race is a race though, I just don't really see the point of racing auto transmissions vs manuals. Driving a manual is a whole different machine. I still can't find the joy in pressing a switch behind the steering wheel and feel badass about how fast I'm "shifting" or excitement. Anyways, cool racing.
    Agree 100%.

I still want a GTR.
    C6 Z06 - 600whp+ (Chuck MF'ing Norris)
    '10 335i - 830whp (Bruce Lee)
    '07 335i - 380whp (Dolph Lundgren)